Benjamin Andrew teaches at Pennsylvania State University, focusing on online education and interdisciplinary courses. He has worked as a graphic and web designer for clients ranging from political campaigns and activist groups to international research teams at NASA. His visual art practice explores the frontiers of storytelling by leveraging participatory art and new media to imagine strange new futures. He previously taught at the Maryland Institute College of Art and Johns Hopkins University. He misses Baltimore but is enjoying his new home on the Internet.
- MFA at Maryland Institute College of Art
- BFA at Pratt Institute
- Intro to Computer Graphics
- The Art of Web Design
- Digital Multimedia Design Foundations
- Introduction to Digital Art and Design Criticism
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Individual Artist Award, Maryland State Art Council, Baltimore, MD
Exhibitions & Presentations
- Random Access Memories, Digital Fringe Festival, Philadelphia.
- People’s Production, Borland Project Space, State College, PA.
- Birdland in the Anthropocene, Peale Center, Baltimore, MD.
- International Conference of Auditory Display, Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA.
- Turf and Terrain: Arts in Foggy Bottom Sculpture Biennial, curated by Danielle O’Steen, Washington D.C.
- Mission Universe: A Curanuat’s Journey, Center for the Arts Gallery, Towson University, Towson, MD.
- Nature in the Dark, Ynot Lot, Baltimore, MD.
- Nature in the Dark, Sandbox Gallery, Chestertown, MD.
- Spring Solos, Arlington Arts Center, Arlington, Va.
- Public Displays of Innovation, funded by Ballston Improvement District, Arlington, VA
- Alumni Exhibition, Pratt Institute at Munson-Williams-Proctor, Utica, NY.
- (e)merge Art Fair, Capitol Skyline Hotel, Washington D.C.
- Smorgasbord, curated by Paddy Johnson, Gallery CA, Baltimore, MD.
- From Joy to Terror, curated by Maiza Hixson, Delaware Center for Contemporary Art, Wilmington, DE.
- From Joy to Terror, School 33 Art Center, Baltimore, MD.
- Young Blood, Maryland Art Place, Baltimore, MD.
- May Fair, Transmodern Art Fair, Baltimore, MD.
- Maryland Art Place Starlight Dinner, Thames Street Wharf, Baltimore, MD.
- MFA Thesis Exhibition, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD.
- Mount Royal Spring Exhibition, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD.
- Back to the Future: Juried Exhibition, Texas A&M International Exhibition, Laredo, TX.
- Mount Royal Fall Show, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD.
- Double/Binding, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD.
- Holy Rollers Mountain Revival Show, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD.
- SW!PE 3: Metropolis, Spattered Columns, New York, NY.
- Rebellion for Autonomous Future, Chasama 42nd Street, New York, NY.
- Sounds of Tomorrow, Figment Art Festival, Governer’s Island, New York, NY.
- SW!PE Exhibition, 25 CPW Gallery, New York, NY.
Publications & Presentations
- “Radical Lessons: Avant Garde Influence in Digital Classrooms,” Digitally Engaged Learning Conference, Texas State University.
- “Research Remix”, presentation, National Media Consortium conference, Washington D.C.