Mallika Bose is an architect (Jadavpur University, Kolkata – India and School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, India) and urban planner with a specialization in environment-behavior studies (Kansas State University and University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee).
She is a professor and the graduate program coordinator in the Department of Landscape Architecture, as well as the associate dean for research, creative activity, and graduate studies with the College of Arts and Architecture. From 2008 to 2012 she served as the interim director/director of the Hamer Center for Community Design at Penn State. Bose currently serves on the board of directors of the Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA), and served as the chair of the EDRA Board in 2012-2013.
Her research is motivated by her interest in understanding how social structures are embedded in the built environment, and how such socio-spatial constructions shape behavior of different groups in society. She has been active in research in the following areas: Built Environment and Active Living/Healthy Eating; Public Scholarship and Community Based Design; Gender and Development; and Design/Planning Pedagogy.
Bose’s scholarship has been published in the Journal of Architecture and Planning Research, Landscape Journal, Habitat International, International Development and Planning Research, Open House International, and Journal of Urban Design. She also co-edited a book on community engaged teaching and scholarship titled, Community Matters: Service-learning in Engaged Design and Planning.
- PHD from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in 1997
- M.ARCH from Kansas State University in 1992
- MBE & M from School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, India in 1988
- B.ARCH from Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India in 1986
- Community-Based Design/Planning and Community Engagement Seminar (Fall 2012)
- Built Environment and Culture (General Education Course/Spring 2013 and supervision of online course every semester)
- Research Methods/Theis Proposal Development
- Community Based Design/Planning Studio
Service + Affiliations
- Graduate Curriculem Committee (Department)
- Bracken Lecture Series Coordinator (Department)
- Diversity Council (College)
- Chair—Environmental Design Research Association Board of Directors (Professional Organization)