Ryan Russell is currently an associate professor of graphic design at Penn State. He received a B.A. in Graphic Design from Saint Norbert College in 2004. After working briefly in New York City, Russell attended Penn State and received his M.F.A. in Art with a concentration in Graphic Design in 2006. Immediately after graduating, he joined the graphic design faculty at Penn State. In addition to being an educator, Russell has founded his own studio, specializing in brand identity design, information design, print design, and multimedia design.
Russell’s work has been reproduced in some of the world’s most renowned design publications such as Graphis New Talent, Print’s Regional Design Annual, Step Inside Design Magazine, UCDA Designer Magazine, Communication Arts, and various Graphis Annuals.
His work has also been published in a number of books, including 1,000 Indie Posters, Logo Lounge, Basics Logo, World of Posters, and Letterhead & Logo Design 10 & 11. In January 2011 Russell authored a showroom article on John Higley Design for Novum Gebrauchsgraphik.
Russell’s work has been included in many prestigious international exhibitions such as the 22nd Warsaw International Poster Biennale, the Trnava Poster Triennial 2009, the Third International Biennial of the Poster in Bolivia, the 21st Warsaw International Poster Biennale, and the GOOD 50×70 poster exhibition. Recently, his work for the Haiti Poster Project was chosen to be exhibited in the World Bank during the Understanding Risk Conference in Washington.
Additionally, Russell’s work is included in numerous collections including the the Jan Kaniorek Gallery, Trnava; Grupo Catalografica, La Paz; Muzeum Plakatu w Wilanowie, Warsaw; Dansk Plakatmuseum, Aarhus; and the University and College Designers Association.
- BA from Saint Norbert College in 2004
- MFA from Penn State University in 2006
In the News
- Graphic design professor receives honorable mention in international competition
- Graphic design’s Russell earns national honor for face mask initiative
- Stuckeman students, faculty earn 16 awards in Graphis design competition
- Graphic design faculty member earns top prize in international poster competition
- Making – and keeping – the customer happy
- Graphic design professor has work selected for international poster competition