Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at the Penn State School of Theatre
Building Inclusion + Respect
At Penn State’s School of Theatre, we are working together to build a more welcoming, inclusive and respectful community for all students, faculty, and staff.
The Penn State School of Theatre condemns the rise in violence against Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. We stand in solidarity with our AAPI colleagues, students, and friends, and pledge to amplify AAPI voices. We will create opportunities to have necessary dialogue for education and initiatives to address this very important issue.
We are fully aligned with Penn State President Eric Barron’s statement from March 4, 20201, condemning these acts of discrimination and violence.
Some of our initiatives for 2020–21
- Appointed an Associate Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion;
- Bolstered membership of School of Theatre Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Committee;
- Supported the establishment of the School of Theatre Student Diversity Committee;
- Host of Speaker Series – dedicated to education in the area of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion;
- Reimagined Virtual Production Season focused on racial justice themes;
- Revised and implemented a new Casting policy that addresses issues of identity and inclusive casting;
More to Come!
School of Theatre EDI Speaker Series
A series of critical conversations of about breaking barriers, and laying a foundation that supports equity, diversity, inclusion, and access.