The Musical Theatre B.F.A. degree program is an intensive pre-professional training program with alumni working around the country and the world.
Our faculty is made up of artists dedicated to both the profession and the academy. As working actors, dancers, music directors, choreographers, and directors, we bring our students Broadway, national tour, regional theatre, and film and television experience. With a ratio of thirteen faculty to forty-nine students, the training is individualized, specific, and demanding.
Students accepted into the program will receive specialized training in singing, acting, and dance. In addition to this training, Penn State Musical Theatre offers signature initiatives like the New Musicals Initiative (which commissions musical theatre writers to write for our students), the Master Class Series, and our unique Musical Theatre Wellness Center – which assists our students in the areas of Mental, Physical, Vocal, and Nutritional Health during their training.
Connect with us
We are so proud of our many alums working around the world. Below are just a few of the exciting projects that involve Penn State Musical Theatre alumni. Check back frequently – we are always updating!
- Caroline Bowman – Frozen, National Tour (Elsa)
- Adam Jepsen – Frozen, Broadway (Sven)
- Talia Suskauer – Wicked, National Tour (Elphaba)
- Christian Thompson – Ain’t Too Proud, Broadway (Smokey Robinson)
- Gilbert Bailey II – Beetlejuice, Broadway (Ensemble)
- Keely Beirne – Frozen, Broadway (Ensemble)
- Audrey Cardwell – Falsettos, National Tour (Cordelia)
- Kevin Clay – The Book of Mormon, International Tour (Elder Price)
- Ixchel Cuellar – Mean Girls, Broadway/National Tour (Swing)
- Alex Dorf – Cats, National Tour (Swing)
- Patrick Graver – The Book of Mormon, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Marcus Paul James – Ain’t Too Proud, Broadway (Swing)
- James T. Lane – Kiss Me, Kate!, Broadway (Paul)
- Nathan Lucrezio – Diana, Broadway (Ensemble)
- Allie Pizzo – Aladdin, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Liz Schmitz – Hello Dolly, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Jason Sparks – Kiss Me, Kate!, Broadway (Associate Choreographer)
- Laurie Veldheer – Plaza Suite, Broadway (U/s Jean, Mimsey)
- George Vickers – A Bronx Tale, National Tour (Tyrone)
- Brinie Wallace – The Book of Mormon, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Aidan Wharton – Wicked, Nation Tour (Ensemble, U/S Fiyero)
- Maria Wirries – Dear Evan Hansen, National Tour (U/s Zoe, Alana)
- Julio Rey – Tootsie, National Tour (Ensemble)
Considering the B.F.A. in Musical Theatre? Consider this.
With our curriculum, initiatives, and connections – we are defining 21st century Musical Theatre training.
- Tony, Grammy, Obie winning writers work in our New Musicals Initiative
- Master classes taught by Broadway's elite professionals
- Graduating students leave with professionally filmed material for their websites
- Each year, we spend time in NYC taking classes, seeing shows, and meeting alumni
Penn State provided the specialized training required to succeed in my field in the “real world,” as well as a strong network of alumni to guide me once I got there.
Carolyn QuinnB.F.A. in Theatre 2016
Carolyn Quinn is an events professional based in New York City. She is currently a production coordinator at Sequence Events, a Global Top 50 Events Agency. Prior to Sequence, Carolyn spent time at Baseline Theatrical and in the general management office of Hamilton: An American Musical, as well as freelancing for high-profile corporate and non-profit events, new
theatrical works, and television and film, including working on the production team for the 71st Annual Tony Awards.
News from A&A
College welcomes new faculty
The College of Arts and Architecture is pleased to announce six new faculty members for the 2020-2021 academic year. Kathryn Hylton, School of Music; Patricia Phillips, School of Theatre; Tyler