The Musical Theatre B.F.A. degree program is an intensive pre-professional training program with alumni working around the country and the world.
Our faculty is made up of artists dedicated to both the profession and the academy. As working actors, dancers, music directors, choreographers, and directors, we bring our students Broadway, national tour, regional theatre, and film and television experience. With a ratio of thirteen faculty to forty-nine students, the training is individualized, specific, and demanding.
Students accepted into the program will receive specialized training in singing, acting, and dance. In addition to this training, Penn State Musical Theatre offers signature initiatives like the New Musicals Initiative (which commissions musical theatre writers to write for our students), the Master Class Series, and our unique Musical Theatre Wellness Center – which assists our students in the areas of Mental, Physical, Vocal, and Nutritional Health during their training.
Connect with us
We are so proud of our many alums working around the world. Below are just a few of the exciting projects that involve Penn State Musical Theatre alumni. Check back frequently – we are always updating!
- Caroline Bowman – Frozen, National Tour (Elsa)
- Adam Jepsen – Frozen, Broadway (Sven)
- Talia Suskauer – Wicked, National Tour (Elphaba)
- Christian Thompson – Ain’t Too Proud, Broadway (Smokey Robinson)
- Gilbert Bailey II – Beetlejuice, Broadway (Ensemble)
- Keely Beirne – Frozen, Broadway (Ensemble)
- Audrey Cardwell – Falsettos, National Tour (Cordelia)
- Kevin Clay – The Book of Mormon, International Tour (Elder Price)
- Ixchel Cuellar – Mean Girls, Broadway/National Tour (Swing)
- Alex Dorf – Cats, National Tour (Swing)
- Patrick Graver – The Book of Mormon, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Marcus Paul James – Ain’t Too Proud, Broadway (Swing)
- James T. Lane – Kiss Me, Kate!, Broadway (Paul)
- Nathan Lucrezio – Diana, Broadway (Ensemble)
- Allie Pizzo – Aladdin, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Liz Schmitz – Hello Dolly, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Jason Sparks – Kiss Me, Kate!, Broadway (Associate Choreographer)
- Laurie Veldheer – Plaza Suite, Broadway (U/s Jean, Mimsey)
- George Vickers – A Bronx Tale, National Tour (Tyrone)
- Brinie Wallace – The Book of Mormon, National Tour (Ensemble)
- Aidan Wharton – Wicked, Nation Tour (Ensemble, U/S Fiyero)
- Maria Wirries – Dear Evan Hansen, National Tour (U/s Zoe, Alana)
- Julio Rey – Tootsie, National Tour (Ensemble)
See it in 360º
Welcome to our studios and spaces! Each of these 360º views is a portal of sorts into the learning and performance spaces in the School of Theatre!
You can click-and-drag to control the view in the frame, and there are embedded ‘links’ within the viewer that enable you to move among physical locations. By clicking the arrow icon at the footer of the viewer window, you can access the tour navigation menu, including the full screen (and you really should check these out full screen).
Theatre Performance Classrooms + Stages
Considering the B.F.A. in Musical Theatre? Consider this.
With our curriculum, initiatives, and connections – we are defining 21st century Musical Theatre training.
Tony, Grammy, Obie winning writers work in our New Musicals Initiative
Master classes taught by Broadway’s elite professionals
Graduating students leave with professionally filmed material for their websites
Each year, we spend time in NYC taking classes, seeing shows, and meeting alumni
Penn State embraced my vision for a cross-disciplinary education that combined electrical engineering with theatre and stage lighting.
Inter-College Bachelor of Philosophy, 2005
Andrew Giffin – a Schreyer Scholar who earned a inter-college Bachelor of Philosophy incorporating studies in Theatre Design and Technology plus Electrical Engineering – is the associate lighting designer for the rock band, Phish, and is widely considered as the top lighting programmer in the industry. Andrew has designed and programmed light shows for musicians such as Pearl Jam, Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber in addition to his work on music award shows, theatre productions and sporting events.
News from A&A
Penn State Centre Stage Virtual to present modern twist on marriage in “The Last Five Years”
The Penn State Centre Stage Virtual will present “The Last Five Years,” a musical sharing a modern twist on marriage, at 7:30 p.m. April 22-25, at showtix4you. The musical was